Key U.S. hydropower industry characteristics have been summarized below.
- The U.S. hydropower industry current accounts for approximately 200,000 – 300,000 jobs.
- The jobs span four specific value chain elements: 1) Project Development, 2) Manufacturing, 3) Project Deployment and 4) Operations and Maintenance
- The U.S. has the second largest installed capacity of hydropower in the world at ~100 GW (including pumped storage).
- Hydropower accounts for approximately 7% of overall domestic electricity production in the U.S. and ranked 10th worldwide in electricity production.
- Over 400+ GW of untapped hydropower resource potential (inland and ocean) exists within the U.S.
- Developing these untapped hydropower resources could contribute significantly to the emerging green jobs market in the U.S