The Africa Development Bank (AfDB)—managed Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa (SEFA) recently announced it has approved a US$992,000 grant for the 7.8-MW Mutunguru hydropower project located on the Mutonga River in Meru County, Kenya.
The project developer, Mutunguru Hydroelectric Company Ltd. (MHCL), received the grant to support the project’s technical assistance to procure professional services in legal and financial advisory consultancy, according to the AfDB.
The principal objective of the grant is to procure consultancy services to ensure the run-of-river project achieves a bankable business case and catalyzes the commitment of financial partners for the development.
The needed services include the following:
- Development of environmental and social impact management and implementation strategy;
- Development of catchment conservation plan;
- Provide policy framework to enable the project to achieve sustainable environmental and social impact monitoring, verification and reporting;
- Develop a water catchment area and river basin conservation framework and implementation plan; and
- Conduct environmental conservation and implementation training for the Water Resource Users Association and Community Forest Association.