The Hydro Research Foundation announces the selection of five new student researchers, as well as a newly elected board of directors and advisory board.
The student researchers were competitively selected based on their leadership, academic promise and research concept. The 2017 class of researchers are:
- Surabhi Karambelkar, University of Arizona, Hydropower operations on the Colorado River basin: Institutional analysis of opportunities and constraints
- Kang Li, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Investigation of the performance and cost benefits of using a magnetically geared generator (MGG) for hydropower generation
- Robert Queen, Colorado State University, Investigation of flow and sediment transport over RoR dams, and potential effects on upstream and downstream geomorphology, sedimentation, and aquatic habitat
- Nam Song, University of Washington, Forecasting tools for run-of-river hydroelectric systems
- Jesse Thornburg, Carnegie Mellon University, Energy storage and international development
In addition, the 2017 board of directors for HRF are: Leslie Eden, HCI Partners, chairman; Kenneth Odom, Southern Company, vice chairman; Lisa Larson, HDR, vice president elect; Steve Wenke, Avista Utilities, treasurer; Wendy Bley, TRC Solutions, secretary; Janet Audunson, National Grid, legal counsel; and Gregg Carrington, Chelan County PUD, past president.
Members of this board are Steve Amaral, Alden Laboratories; Norm Bishop, Knight Piesold; Steve Brown, Kleinfelder; Tim Brush, Normandeau Associates; John Esler, Portland General Electric; Paul Jacobson, Electric Power Research Institute; Mark Killgore, state of Virginia; Andrea Danucalov, Exelon Corp.; Gerry Russell, American Hydro; and Michael Sale, Low Impact Hydro Institute.
HRF advisory board members for 2017 are: Scott Ginesin, American Governor; Michael Manwaring, Stantec; Geoff Rabone, Yuba County Water Agency; Alan Roth, American Hydro; Sue Nee Tan, Pacific Gas & Electric; Carl Vansant, HCI Partners; Lewis Wardle, Idaho Power; Paul Williams, Kleinschmidt & Associates; and Dave Youlen, Eagle Creek Renewable Energy.
HRF is holding a Hiring for Hydro event at HydroVision International next month in Denver, Colo. This event provides a forum where university students can gather to become exposed to the hydro market sector and to learn more about the types of professions in the sector. Hiring for Hydro is Thursday, June 29 from 11 am to 12:30 pm.