I’m not sure exactly when the way we watch videos shifted so dramatically. But I do know that videos have gone from pure entertainment (although they still provide a great deal of that) to a valuable educational format.
I found some very interesting statistics regarding video on the website of Marketing Insider Group, which is calling 2016 “The Year of Video.” You may not have known some of the below:
- 78% of people watch videos online every week (and 55% watch videos every day)
- More than 80% of surveyed senior executives watch more online video today than they did a year ago (according to Forbes)
- 75% of senior executives watch work-related videos on at least a weekly basis and 54% share work-related videos with their colleagues at least weekly
- 59% of senior executives agree they would prefer to watch videos if both text and video are available on the same topic on the same page
- By 2018, experts believe video will account for 79% of all consumer internet traffic (compared with 57% in 2016)
And speaking of Forbes, in a 2015 article, author Karen Hua said YouTube videos focused on education are viewed twice as much as those found in the Pets & Animals category (a popular time-waster).
PennWell’s Hydro Group recognizes the value of video. In fact, this issue of Hydro Review contains two videos – here and here – meant to educate and inform readers. This value-added content, which we call editorial video, hopefully provides readers with another way to gain information. We deliberately keep these videos short and concise, as they are meant to complement (and not replace) the written content of the articles they accompany.
In addition, HydroWorld.com features our Hydro Headlines Weekly Newscast, which highlights the biggest news of the previous week and is always available on the home page of the website by Monday morning. And directly below that video, on our home page, is the Power Today Newscast, which is a daily video that provides insight and analysis into the news of the week from the broader power generation market (including hydropower).
We also have an extensive database of videos on our Hydro TV channel at. Visit here and you can see galleries of videos for:
- HydroWorld Newscasts
- HydroVision International
- Waterpower Week in Washington
- Hydro Hall of Fame
- HydroWorld Featured Videos
Here’s where I need your help. What videos would you like to see? Tell us what makes you choose to watch a video – in a magazine or on a website – so we can deliver the video content our readers want and need.
More HR Archives Issue Articles