African bank funds grid study for 61.5-MW Rusumo Falls

The African Development Fund (ADF), the concessional window of the African Development Bank, has approved a grant to the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) to finance a study of transmission lines to interconnect the 61.5-MW Rusumo Falls hydroelectric project.

ADF approved a grant October 27 of 2.57 million Units of Account (US$3.79 million) to study technical, financial, economic, social, and environmental feasibility of projects to transmit power from Rusumo Falls, which is to be built on the Kagera River in Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, and Uganda.

The study would examine building links to grids in Burundi, Rwanda, and Tanzania, as well as the feasibility of a rural electrification program in the Kagera Basin along the power line corridors. Work is to include final design studies and preparation of bid documents for the construction.

ADF is to finance 89.93 percent of the total cost, while NBI pays the remaining 10.07 percent.

NBI’s Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Coordination Unit previously recruited consultants to: perform a feasibility study of the hydroelectric project; serve as project manager for the Rusumo Falls project preparation process; and serve as transaction adviser to provide technical support to the Project Implementation Committee. (HNN 7/13/06)

For information, contact Nile Basin Initiative, Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program Coordination Unit, Building of the Ministry of Infrastructures, P.O. Box 6759, Kigala, Rwanda; (250) 0830-7334; Fax: (250) 511-903; E-mail: dnzayanga@nilebasin.org; Internet: www.nilebasin.org/nelsap.

Previous articleBosnia to recruit consultants for hydro rehab
Next articleMontenegro seeks rehab consultant for 342-MW Piva

No posts to display