Prepared by: Ontario Power Generation Group, Northwest Plant Group, Hydro Turbine Runners
Ontario Power Generation has developed a new technique that allows for accurate, quick repair of cavitation damage on a runner blade. This technique was tested on a Morris turbine runner at the 18.5-MW Ear Falls Generating Station.
- Completed runner inserts made from 316 stainless steel were shipped from foundry on May 28/09.
- Total time to create inserts – 7 days.
- Inserts were welded in place at Ear Falls G.S. on June 02/09.
- No runner blade distortion.
- Integrity of work to be inspected in approximately one year.