Brazilian power regulator Agencia Nacional de Energia Eletrica (Aneel) has approved contracts for six hydropower plants won during an energy reserve auction in September.
Approved by Aneel were the:
- 1-MW Willy Faller (Mafras Energia e Reflorestamento Ltda.)
- 1.3-MW Figueira (Centrais Eletricas Figueirao Ltda.)
- 5.2-MW Montovilis (Sao Benedito Energia and Investimentos e Participacoes SA)
- 9.9-MW Estivadinho 3 (Sao Benedito Energia and Investimentos e Participacoes SA)
- 10-MW Rincao (Rincao Energia SA)
- 24.4-MW Jui-117 (PCH Juina SA)
In Brazil, power purchase agreements are awarded to developers who submit the lowest bids for the price of power to be sold from their plants, with the government buying capacity using a reserve model to protect against a future supply deficit.
HydroWorld.com reported earlier this year that the cumulative output capacity from the auction was to have been about 990 MW, with power purchase agreements to be awarded in 30-year deals.
The auction was originally scheduled for late July but rescheduled.For more news from Brazil, visit here.