Brazil’s 452-MW Peixe Angical in full operation

Energias do Brasil S.A. (EDB) announced full commercial operation of the 452-MW Peixe Angical hydroelectric project on the Tocantins River.

EDB said the project began operation September 16, 16 days ahead of schedule, in northern Brazil’s Tocantins State. Brazilian regulator Agencia Nacional de Energia Eletrica (ANEEL) granted official authorization September 18, retroactive to the start-up day.

The project’s first two units began operation in June and July. (HNN 6/29/06) The project features three 150-MW Kaplan turbines manufactured by Voith Siemens Hydro Power Generation. They have a runner diameter of 8.6 meters and are to operate at a head of about 29 meters.

The project was developed by Enerpeixe, a partnership of EDB, with 60 percent ownership, and government utility Furnas Centrais Eletricas S.A., with the remaining 40 percent. A total of 1.6 billion reais (US$752 million) was invested in the project, including 670 million reais (US$315 million) by Brazilian investment bank BNDES and a pool of banks. The remaining 930 million reais (US$437 million) was supplied by EDB and Furnas on a 60-40 basis.

EDB: 181-MW Mascarenhas, 25-MW Sao Joao near completion

Custodio Miguens, vice president of generation for EDB and president of the Enerpeixe project development consortium, said the completion of Peixe Angical and two other projects will bring EDB, a unit of Portuguese utility Energias de Portugal, to a new level in the Brazilian energy sector.

The utility said the fourth unit of the Mascarenhas project is expected to go on line by the end of the year in Espirito Santo State, bringing the project to 181 MW. The 25-MW Sao Joao project also is to go on line in Espirito Santo in late 2006.

EDB said it would invest 105 million reais (US$49 million) in construction of the 30-MW Santa Fe project in Espirito Santo State. Santa Fe is to begin operation in early 2009, providing assured power of 16 MW.


Previous articleAustria group, Bosnia firm named to build Bosnia plants
Next articleVoith Siemens to upgrade Kenya’s 144-MW Kiambere

No posts to display