Hydropower plants occupy some of the most scenic locales in America, and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Water Power Technologies Office is looking to showcase some of those through its new “Make a Splash” photo contest.
Prizes up to $2,000 will be awarded in seven categories, including:
- Overall Hydropower – Hydropower, including multiuse dams and reservoirs
- Overall Marine Energy – Technologies including buoys, wave energy converters and ocean thermal energy converters
- Recreational Hydropower – Highlighting activities like swimming, boating, fishing, camping, water skiing and hiking
- Community/Local Hydropower – Small-scale, low-head hydro that provides local or community power
- STEM/Education Opportunities – Youth and student interactions with and learning about hydro
- Jobs/Economic Development of Water Power – Professionals employed in hydro sectors, including maintenance and operations
- Research and Development of New Water Power Technologies – Researchers working to advance hydro technologies, both in lab and field settings.
Eligible photos must have been taken with the U.S., U.S. territories or of U.S. technology in foreign waters.
In addition to claiming cash prizes, winners will have their work exhibited on the Water Power Technologies Office website, at the Department of Energy’s headquarters, and potentially in other DOE materials.
All entries are due July 16, 2018. For full rules and details about the Make a Splash contest, visit DOE’s website here.