Earthquake damages five dams in Philippines’ Central Luzon region

Five dams in three provinces in the Philippines were damaged during the earthquake that occurred on April 22, according to ABS-CBN News.

The earthquake had a magnitude of 6.1 and was centered 1 mile from Floridablanca, Pampanga, on the island of Luzon. It damaged roads and other infrastructure, and an estimated 16 people were killed.

News agencies are reporting another strong earthquake hit, with a magnitude of 6.5 according to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, struck the Philippine island of Samar on April 23. The Republic of the Philippines Department of Energy said no damages were reported by the power plants located in the Visayas area. The DOE said that as of 2:45 pm on April 23, 98.5% of power had been restored in the Pampanga Electric Cooperative II. The remaining 1.5% covers about 2,300 households.

Citing information from the National Irrigation Administration, ABS-CBN News said the five dams “were damaged and needed immediate repairs.”

The Cong. Dadong Dam in Arayat, Pampanga, showed cracks, and repairs are estimated to cost PHP20 million (US$384,000). Other damaged dams listed are Mangindong Dam in Bataan, P10 million (US$192,000) to repair; Balsik Dam in Bataan, P5 million (US$96,000) to repair; Bucao Intake in Zambales, P10 million (US$192,000) to repair; and San Pablo CIS in Zambales, P5 million (US$96,000) to repair. None of these dams appear to be associated with a hydroelectric project.

Previous articleCallejo named deputy regional director for Reclamation’s Mid-Pacific Region
Next articleSecond Hydro Think Tank competition scheduled for next month
The Hydro Review content team brings you the latest in Hydropower news. Learn about recent developments in the industry and stay knowledgeable in your field.

No posts to display