Ecuador seeks bids to build 1,500-MW Coca Codo Sinclair

Developer Coca Codo Sinclair S.A. seeks bids to build the 1,500-MW Coca Codo Sinclair hydroelectric project on the Coca River in Ecuador’s Napo Province. Bids are due January 30, 2009.

Coca Codo Sinclair S.A. is a joint venture of Compania de Generacion Termoelectrica Pinchincha S.A. (Termopichincha) of Ecuador and Energia Argentina S.A. (Enarsa) of Argentina. Ecuador is to finance 70 percent of the US$1.6 billion project, with Argentina providing the remaining 30 percent. (HNN 4/23/08)

The government previously said Coca Codo Sinclair’s ten 150-MW turbine-generators are to begin operation in 2012, generating power at a cost of 2 cents per kWh.

The developer seeks bids for engineering, procurement, and construction of the project. Project components include:
o Intake works: two spillways in concrete, intake rakes, desander basins, sluicing gates, and siphon connection to tunnel;
o Concrete-lined power tunnel: 24.8 kilometers long, 8.7 meters in diameter;
o Regulating basin: formed by a concrete-faced rockfill dam, spillway, intake structures for two pressure conduits;
o Two pressure conduits: from regulating basin to powerhouse cavern, 1,400 meters long, 2.9 and 2.6 meters’ inner diameter, steel-lined in their final section;
o Powerhouse cavern: 24 by 39 by 192 meters, excavated in rock; supply and installation of turbine-generators for total capacity of 1,500 MW;
o Transformers cavern: 14 by 29 by 192 meters, excavated in rock; installation of 24 single-phase transformers of 68.3 megavolt-amperes each;
o Main access tunnel, tailrace tunnel, and cables tunnel: each 600 meters long;
o Switchyard and control building: for start of two 500-kilovolt transmission lines.

Pre-contractual bidding documents may be obtained beginning October 8 from the company Internet site, www.cocasinclair.com, by advance payment of US$100,000 to Banco del Pacifico, Republic of Ecuador, Banking Account No. 7173636 in the name of Hidroelectrica Coca Codo Sinclair S.A. A deposit voucher and confidentiality agreement from the company website must be delivered to the address below to obtain the documents via Internet.

Bids are due by 10 a.m. January 30, 2009. For information, contact Hidroelectrica Coca Codo Sinclair S.A., COCASINCLAIR, Avenida de los Shyris N35-71 y Suecia, Edif. Argentum, Piso 14, Quito, Ecuador; Internet: www.cocasinclair.com.

Previous articleBulgaria revives plans for Danube hydro totaling 1,410 MW
Next articleUPDATE – World Bank funds China’s 117-MW Shihutang, navigation

No posts to display