Seven fact sheets have been released to properly advocate the important role of hydropower in meeting Europe’s energy transition goals.
Hydropower provides a large share of EU renewable capacity and complements the increasing share of variable renewables in the European power system, according to a press release from VGB PowerTech. Eurelectric and VGB developed the fact sheets.
Topics of the Hydropower Fact Sheets are:
- At the heart of the renewable energy transition
- More than power generation
- Enhancing EU security of supply and system stability
- The most efficient power generation technology
- Contributing to Europe’s economy and innovation
- A reliable and sustainable partner to tackle climate change
- Providing flexibility and storage for tomorrow’s renewable power system
Additionally, an accompanying leaflet, Facts of Hydropower in the EU, includes facts and data on a variety of topics, including shares of hydropower generation and capacity in the EU-28, hydropower’s contribution to meeting the EU climate objectives, and technical feasible hydropower potential in various countries.
VGB is an international technical association for generation and storage of power and heat. VGB PowerTech|Hydro is a collective European platform for operators, manufacturers and suppliers of hydropower plants.
The Union of the Electricity Industry – Eurelectric is an association that represents the common interests of the electricity industry at the pan-European level.
Eurelectric and VGB PowerTech announced in March 2017 that they were “strengthening their cooperation in the field of hydropower generation at the European level.”