UPDATE – Brazil again postpones auction for 3,150-MW Santo Antonio

Brazil has again rescheduled a concession auction to build and operate the 3,150-MW Santo Antonio hydroelectric project. The latest delay moves concession bidding to December 10 from November 29.

Brazil’s chief Cabinet minister, Dilma Rouseff, said October 22 that the new date is more �convenient� for Brazilian regulators. Reports previously indicated the auction might be delayed due to the extensive time needed to prepare rules and because some companies were taking longer than expected to form bidding consortia. (HNN 10/18/07)

A spokesman for the Ministerio de Minas e Energia said a sale prospectus would be published by the end of October.

The ministry originally set October 30 for the concession auction of Santo Antonio, one of the two big projects comprising the 6,450-MW Madeira River complex. Santo Antonio and it sister project, 3,300-MW Jirau, also on the Madeira, previously were delayed by a complicated environmental licensing process and more recently by the federal accounting watchdog TCU, which has to rubberstamp the project.

Acting Mines and Energy Minister Nelson Hubner has said there are four consortia interested in building and operating Santo Antonio in Rondonia State.

Suez Energy Brasil, a unit of France’s Suez, seeks the concession jointly with Brazil’s Centrais Eletricas do Sul do Brasil (Eletrosul), part of federal power giant Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras S/A (Eletrobras). Construction conglomerate Construtora Norberto Odebrecht and state power company Furnas Centrais Eletricas make up another consortium.

The other two are engineering group Camargo Correa with power firm Companhia Hidreletrica do Sao Francisco (Chesf) and engineering firm Alusa with Centrais Eletricas do Norte do Brasil (Eletronorte), another Eletrobras unit.

Hubner also said power distributors like CPFL Energia, Light S.A., and Companhia Energetica de Minas Gerais (Cemig) are considering their participation, on their own or in consortia. However, the chief executive of Light said October 10 that private power companies cannot compete equally with the big state-owned utilities. (HNN 10/16/07)

Odebrecht is fighting in courts to defend exclusive contracts for Santo Antonio, but Hubner said that would not delay the auction further, acknowledging though it could reduce the competition for the concession.

A technical presentation on the feasibility studies of Santo Antonio is available on the Internet site of Brazilian electricity regulator Agencia Nacional de Energia Eletrica (ANEEL). The presentation, available at www.aneel.gov.br/complexomadeira, includes a video recording of a clarification session presented by the companies that developed the studies, Odebrecht and Furnas. Also available are numerous documents on Santo Antonio and Jirau.

The ministry also said an auction would be held in 2008 for a concession to build the transmission line linking Santo Antonio to the national grid. Jirau is expected to be auctioned in early 2008.

The Jirau and Santo Antonio dams would be built 84 kilometers and 119 kilometers from the Bolivian border on the Madeira, an Amazon River tributary. The two hydro projects, with 44 turbines each, have an estimated cost of 22 billion reais (US$11.6 billion). Santo Antonio is expected to begin delivering power in 2012 under a 30-year contract.

For information, contact ANEEL at (55) 61-21928906; E-mail: institucional@aneel.gov.br.

Previous articleUPDATE – Honduras to seek additional equipment for small hydro projects
Next articleNepal to seek oversight work for 750-MW West Seti

No posts to display